Career Panel Day shows kids how to prepare for the future

Ellie Bennett, Writer

CareerPanelLawrence2_KBPHOTO Katelyn Britton
Each year, SRTs bring in professionals to talk about what they think is important for high school students to know about their own careers in career panel day. This past Wednesday, anywhere from business owners to doctors came in to talk about what they do on a daily basis.

“I find mentoring students in all aspects is important so I really enjoy doing these types of things,” psychologist Jennifer Flack said. “I think it is important that you guys get the experience to talk to professionals in the community.”

Students get to learn about the careers they might want to go into in the future; they learn how to prepare for the reality of the jobs presented. Some students are luckier than others and they are able to have someone come in and talk to their class about an occupation they are considering pursuing in the future.

“I’m expecting to get a lot of information on what it is like to do that job, a lot of people only focus on how much money it pays,” freshman Emily Hayes said. ”But I would like to see what they do on a day-to-day basis and who they work with. I think that it will be helpful to get inside information on what it is like to have that career.”

Even if the occupation that is presented in the SRT is not what all the students want to do, some professionals can offer advice in different ways.

“I think that it is helpful for students,” english teacher Sarah Andersen said. “We had a motivational speech one year and I don’t think he motivated anyone career wise, but I think he just motivated students in general to do there best.”

The professionals that come in help the students not only to learn about their career, but also about any occupation that you aspire to be in.

“I hope that this is helpful to students,” Mancino’s owner Mark Rummel said. “I hope they understand that they can do anything that they want if they want to do it.”

Each and every person that takes time out of their work schedule to talk with the Fenton High School students can make a difference in young mind and show them that they can be in the career they want with hard work and passion.