Boys cross country team places first in regionals, qualifies for states

Alexis Megdanoff, Editor in Chief

Seven of the boys’ cross country team’s runners placed first at regionals this past weekend, earning them the opportunity to head to states as a team this coming weekend. The last time this happened was in 2006, nine years ago.

“The team has gotten much stronger this year,” senior Luke Chabot said. “Two years ago, our varsity squad had been made up of completely underclassmen, so a lot of it was just waiting for the talent to mature. We have definitely come a long way from my freshman year where we only had one runner in the 16’s and our second runner in the 17’s. Now we have four runners that have touched into the 16’s or under this season.”

With only one week to prepare, the runners are executing a lighter workout during practice to ensure they are fresh for this weekend’s meet.

“As far as practice goes, we are starting to lighten our workouts and taper our mileage,” junior Andrew Bond said. “We also stress eating healthy this week and keeping all aches and pains under control.”

For many of the runners, this is the first time they have qualified for states. More experienced teammates and coaches have given advice on racing strategies and how to deal with possible injuries.

“My go-to teammates for advice are Jake Lee, Dominic Dimambro, and Andrew Bond. My coaches Jesse, Nate, and Sue also help me,” freshman Nolan Day said. “They tell me how to prepare for and handle opponents, course conditions, and racing tactics such as pacing, and when to start sprinting for the finish-otherwise known as kicking. They also teach me little tricks to prevent and treat injuries, like icing muscles and effective stretches.”

Although the boys are able to go as a team, only freshman Cami Tiemann was able to qualify for the girls. She placed 11th in regionals and along with representing her team, has personal goals she wishes to meet.

“My personal best is 19:22 and the school record is 19:20. So my goal is definitely to beat the school record,” Tiemann said. “I think that it [going to states] will be an amazing experience and it just makes me even more excited for the next three years of cross country.”

The end of the week holds many games and meets for the teams of FHS. Including the cross country states meet, the varsity football team is also competing against Midland Dow on Friday, the girls swim team is competing for the Metro title from Friday to Saturday, and the varsity volleyball team enters the first round of district playoffs against Brandon on Wednesday.