Varsity volleyball team makes their way through Districts

McKenzie Lookebill, Writer

The varsity volleyball team faced Brandon in the district semifinal game on Nov 4. After receiving the ball, junior Kiley Aldred set up junior Jess Warford, and Fenton won the point, making the score 1-0. Shortly following, when the score was 5-4, senior Jessie Eastman tipped the ball for a point. Later on during the first game the score was tied 10-10.

“In volleyball, I reassure my team we can and will get back the next point if we make up the mistakes we just made,” senior captain Jessie Eastman said. “I bring people up if they are down and I constantly am talking and encouraging to all of my teammates.”

The final point of the first match ended with a block by freshman Chloe Idoni. Continuing into the second match, junior Jess Warford and Eastman continued to block balls from coming onto their side The second game ended with a score of 25-15 after junior Kiley Aldred set senior Cassidy Curtis for a hit.

The JV and freshmen volleyball teams watched from the sidelines and on the court as senior Ali Gundry won a point with a backrow attack. Each playoff season teams move up players from JV and freshman teams to play with the varsity team.

“It is really different playing up,” junior Elizabeth Thomas said. “Varsity plays faster and more efficient. Even though I may not play, I feel the exact same as I would if I played. I love winning. The adrenaline pumps through my veins on the court and off the court when I am cheering for my team.”

Nearing the end of the game, Eastman scored a point by hitting an overpass from Brandon, and raising the score to 20-12. Eastman then hit an overpass by Brandon. The last point was scored when junior Taylor Mowery passed the ball up to senior Nina Lombardi. Lombardi ended the game by setting up Curtis who scored a point by hitting the ball. The final score of the third game was 25-14.

“When the opposing team has a long run, we make sure we bring as much energy as possible,” Aldred said. “We play much better when we have energy on the court. Overall, I think the game wasn’t what we are capable of, but we are ready to play our game tonight.”

The varsity volleyball team has the district finals game against the Linden Eagles Nov 5 at Grand Blanc High School.