ASVAB test offered to more than those interested in military

Ted Graves, Writer

When kids are growing up and learning different subjects in school, they may wonder “What career should I go into? What are my general strengths and weaknesses in academics and life skills?” Some adolescents in need of career guidance don’t get these questions answered until it’s too late. Although others do find their answers in the form of a career-oriented, military sponsored test: The ASVAB.

The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) is a multiple choice test required to join the United States Armed Forces. Administered by the Military Entrance Processing Command, the test was first introduced in 1968 for the army but eventually spread to all branches of the military. The test consists of 10 different sections and is used to determine an applicant’s skill and most appropriate line of work for the military. Mathematics, reading ability, and military-related skills are all part of the test and take 3 hours to finish in their entirety.

“I took the test because it basically assesses your skills,” junior Skylar Parks said. “It helps you figure out which career you should pursue. The test covered general school skills like science, math and reading.”

A growing trend among schools is allowing the ASVAB for pupils regardless of their interest in the military. Some people see the test as another SAT/ACT type of exam and wish to take it to their academic prowess and add to their college transcript. In contrast, others have a genuine interest in military operations and wish to apply for a branch military. Additionally, even if a student scores high enough for eligibility, they are not required or pressured to join the military.

Some high schoolers consider the ASVAB to be less rigorous than the SAT/ACT, but a better test of technical skills. People looking to attend trade schools or military schools may be benefit by taking the test. Additionally, more prestigious universities may be impressed by a transcript that include the ASVAB because it shows how far a student would go to represent themselves academically.

The ASVAB is currently able to be taken by people interested joining the military, or for those who wish to test their academic ability. Test results can show what career a person should go into, or what academic strengths they possess. For further information on how to sign up for the ASVAB, visit their website.