Theatre program will be bringing “Into the Woods” to life this March

Brendan Triola, Writer

A curse was placed on a baker and his wife, by an evil witch that was not so nice. They would never be able to have a child, unless they went on a journey through the woods and wild. They knew that the only way to cure the spell, was to collect three items, then the witch they would tell. They went into the woods and into the jungle, meeting Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, and Rapunzel.

After being brought to cinemas across the world in 2014, the musical “Into the Woods” will be brought to life by Fenton High School’s theatre program.

“Into the Woods” is a musical written by Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine. The plot of the musical stems from several different fairy tales, ranging from “Cinderella” to “Little Red Riding Hood”. The musical premiered on Broadway in 1985, but was more recently rebirthed as a film production in 2014.

“I was cased into the production as the steward,” senior Jayson Wolf said. “I am the assistant to the prince, my character is so full of self- importance and thinking that I am better than everyone, and the only person that can put me in my place is the prince. I believe everything I do is for the greater good.”

Wolf is experienced with the theatre program, this being his second year of the IB Theatre course. However the musical will also be seeing many new faces this year.

“I am playing the character Rapunzel,” freshman Alex Marsee said, “This is my first musical, so I was unsure at first. However I love acting and Mrs. Thompson and some of the Ambassadors really encouraged it.”

Fenton’s own production of “Into the Woods” will be at the Ruby Zima Auditorium this April, being performed April 28 through April 30.