Prom 2016: Freaky Friday

Michael Pearce, Sports Editor

For the first time in the last quarter century, Fenton High’s prom will take place on a Friday. While some will prepare for this event after the Friday school day, others will be taking the time they feel necessary to prepare for the dance, and there is no problem in that.

The reason for the dance being on a Friday was availability. Saturday was booked up, and there were no other venues available for the number of students Fenton’s prom will be having. Those are issues the student’s have. The administrators however, have different problems with the Friday prom.

“The prom doesn’t last for four days,” Principal Mark Suchowski said over the intercom on Wednesday, May 4. “All students are expected to attend school on Monday, May 9.”

I personally have no firsthand knowledge of how long it takes girls to prepare, but from what I have heard it is an all day process. You have the last minute dress adjustments, hair, makeup, and nails. This all has to be accomplished by around 5:30 for pictures. In three  hours, that is almost impossible. This skipping of Friday is necessary for girls to get everything in order.

Not only is this a problem for people trying to get ready for the dance, but the school on that Friday and Monday, May 9. The ninth is considered “senior skip day.” With many people who are attending prom planning to call in “sick” on Friday and Monday, everything in terms of attendance and learning time falls behind schedule.

“Trying to take away the senior skip day that has gone on since my parents were in school isn’t cool,” senior Meghan Sperry said. “If we want to skip on Monday, our parents will just call us out but I don’t think we should be threatened with consequences if we don’t show up.”

Prom being on Friday causes a whole lot of headaches. There is no real solution to this problem, and students (especially females) are not going to be at school both days. Prom isn’t a four day event, but the tradition of senior skip day combined with the time to get ready for prom makes it impossible to avoid.