Varsity baseball wins double header against Goodrich

Jade Allami, Writer

There were not one, but two wins for the varsity baseball team on March 30. With a score of 4-2, followed by 10-4, the Tigers beat Goodrich on a double header for their first home games of the season.

“We played well both games and stayed together as a team,” junior Blake Garrison said.

We had positivity coming out of the dugout the whole time so everybody stayed up. My favorite part was when freshman Jared Ryan hit a homerun on the fourth inning of the second game.”

After two calm first innings, the two teams kept scoring back and forth. Ryan allowed the four first points for Fenton, with three RBIs on two hits, followed by a home run. The fifth inning was successful, too, as junior Troy Smigielski allowed the win with six points scored.

“We played well, but the team needs to play more to get more experienced,” varsity baseball coach Shawn Lawrence said. “Practice is going fine except we didn’t have the opportunity to play outside very much yet because of the weather.”

The team had to face rain more than once during their practice time and so they had to play in the gym a few times. However, the weather is far from putting their motivation down as they count on playing the competitively until the end of the season.

“Overall, I have four main goals for the team: win the Jesse Hourgan Wooden Bat Tournament, win the Greater Flint Tournament, win the Flint Metro League and then win the district title,” senior Taylor Lawrence said. “We need to get outside more and work on game situations and simple things like baserunning and signs. We still have a long way to go before we reach our full potential but we showed that we definitely have the talent to compete and make a run at the FML title and hopefully a district title.”

Next, the varsity baseball team will play at Greater Flint Broome Park on April 20.