New coach in the wrestling program plans for season

Coach+Brad+Beverly+speaks+to+a+player+at+their+first+meet+of+the+season.+He+is+qualified+for+the+job+with+10+years+prior+of+high+school+coaching.+

Coach Brad Beverly speaks to a player at their first meet of the season. He is qualified for the job with 10 years prior of high school coaching.

Ellie Bennett, News Editor

New changes are coming to the wrestling program at Fenton, with a new coach who brings different coaching techniques. Brad Beverly has past experience at the school. Some may know him as one of the coaches for the Fenton football program. As Beverley starts to shape the team for the upcoming season, the wrestlers are getting to know their new coach.

“I spent sometime in the wrestling room while Coach Burwitz was here. I have learned a lot when I was in the room,” Beverly said. “Whether it was wrestling technique or structure of practice, I continued to learn from him. I would hope the kids respond to me in a positive way and so far that is the feeling I’m getting. I will work extremely hard to make wrestling a positive experience for all of the athletes that participate in the program.”

With not only wrestling experience under his belt Beverly also has 10 years of high school coaching that he uses today.

“For three years, I was a high school baseball and football coach at Bendle High School,” Beverly said. “Also, I coached youth and middle school wrestling helping in the high school some while there. For the past seven years, I have coached and ran the youth wrestling program here in Fenton. With my time as a coach, I have learned to have a positive connection with kids and I feel that this is my strongest asset. With that said, as a coach you never stop learning and this has been something I have always taken very seriously.”

A love for wrestling and the support from others are some of the reason why Beverly decided to take the step in coaching the team.

“I have grown to love the sport and feel that I can bring a lot to the program,” Beverly said. “With coaching at the high school level for the past 14 years, I have had the pleasure of knowing what it takes to compete and win. I have spent the past 9 years coaching here and the kids are amazing; I have truly enjoyed it. The transition will be easy, I have the full support from all of the other coaches in the football program.”

Beverly has plans on how he is going to add and better the team going into the season. Lack of participation has been done in the past years.

“Shaping the team will begin with kids continuing to wrestle, that’s what we will build off of,” Beverly said. “I’m confident that with the amount of talent that is currently in the program, and the kids that are incoming, we will have a great team that can compete. The staff will also reach out to kids that have either wrestled in the past or have shown interest with the hope to get them involved. I have already been approached by many kids about wrestling. Some that have very little to no experience at all have expressed interest.”

The wrestling season will start this winter as the practice is starting up next week. Beverly is prepared to take charge of the previous and new wrestlers in practice to get them started for the upcoming season.