No membership, no problem

Michael Pearce, Sports Editor

Many times people will be caught in the myth that they need a gym to get in great shape. This is false. There are many small changes one can do to maintain physical fitness and numerous ways that students can get in shape from the comfort of their own homes. Simple diet changes along with techniques can make a big difference.

“The most important aspect of a workout is that we work the six foundational movement patterns: carry, squat, hinge, lunge, pull and push,” program director of Fenton Fitness Jeff Tirrell said. “At home without much equipment the following exercises are all very effective and will do wonders for how you feel, function and look.”
page-7-_-sports

Diet is a large part of fitness; a healthy balance of food is key to obtaining the physical shape one desires. A few small tweaks can also make a big difference when it comes to a diet plan.

“Simply cutting out liquid calories makes a huge difference for most young people,” Tirrell said. “Things like pop, juice, smoothies, milk shakes and coffee drinks offer little nutritional value and are very easy to over consume.”

Time is not a limiting factor as well. A difference can be made in less than an hour per day.

“The key is to have a plan and be consistent,” Tirrell said. “If you only have 15-20 minutes to do something, make sure it incorporates heavy weight or high speeds and utilizes as many muscles as possible. It will be plenty to make you feel like you worked, especially if you stay off your iPhone and really put in the work during this short period.”

The most dramatic changes Tirrell sees with clients come from adding key ingredients that most people don’t get enough of: protein, vegetables and water. With the addition of these things along with a balanced exercise plan one can go a long way.