Participation in extracurriculars, co-curriculars enriches high school experience

Staff Ed, Opinion

The alarm rings at five in the morning. Not because you need extra time to do hair or makeup but because swim practice starts at 5:30 a.m. It is time to wake up and jump in the pool. Following swim practice is a seven hour school day and probably a Key Club meeting after that. Is it worth the sacrifice?

Anyone who has ever been involved in an extracurricular activity will tell you that there are times when a meeting or practice gets in the way of fun. However, those same students will also tell you that being a part of that club, class or sport has created just as many fun memories and times. Student’s who participate in extracurricular activities are less likely to drop out and more likely to have higher academic achievement.

There are many ways that extracurriculars can help other students meet new friends that share their same interests. These extracurriculars create enriching and new experiences for students new to Fenton High School and returning students.

More than just helping students have new experiences, these extracurriculars help them learn life-skills like time-management and responsibility. It may seem like being accepted into NHS does not mean anything more than you can sound nice on an application and have a GPA of 3.5 or higher, but in reality you learn the importance of volunteering and being able to put yourself in the community. NHS teaches students important lessons pertaining to the four pillars of NHS; scholarship, service, leadership and character. School can be a different experience for each and every student.

With so many different options of extracurriculars it could be hard to find one that is right for you. Despite the difficulty, it is important to sample a variety of activities that you may even have a sliver of interest in. No one ever found out what they loved just sitting back and waiting for life to come to them. Students have a 40 percent lower chance of dropping out if they participate in extracurricular activities according to infographic.com. Go out there, try new things, and make the most of the next four years of your life.