FHS welcomes teacher, Rebecca Earnhart from Peru

Jacob Angelovski

Devon Mann, Features Editor

Spanish teacher Rebecca Earnhart always knew that she wanted to help people, but she never imagined that the desire would take her to Peru, South America. She and her family migrated there in 2000 to conduct missionary work. But, before any of that, she was just a college student working towards a teaching degree.

“I grew up in Atlanta, Georgia. I always knew I wanted to be a teacher,” Earnhart said. “I attended Trinity Baptist College of Florida in 1985 and graduated in 1990. I met my husband in college. Being a foster child, he’s been the only family I’ve ever known. We married after I graduated in 1990. We have had 7 children together.”

After graduating, Earnhart and her husband stayed in Florida. While her husband was pursuing an undergraduate degree, Earnhart worked as a teacher’s assistant at a school in Jacksonville. However, a job offer ended up moving the Earnhart’s across the country.

“Eventually, my husband was offered a job on the other side of the country,” Earnhart said. “He was offered a position as a teacher in San Diego and a job working with music at a church. With religion being a big part of our lives and the opportunity for a employment, we decided to move. It was also in California that I was able to continue my teaching career.”

It was this move to California began a new chapter in the Earnhart’s lives. Living in San Diego, so close to the Mexican border, the Earnharts began to see the needs of South American countries for support.

“It was in San Diego that we were introduced to the Hispanic Culture. We became familiar with the language, culture and people, and we began to see the need for help in countries all over the world,” Earnhart said. “In 2000, our family moved from San Diego to Peru in South America.”

The Earnharts were not sure what decision to initially make. Although they saw the need to assist those in South America, they were weary of the prospect of leaving family in America and travelling to a land they knew nothing of.

We didn’t know any Spanish before we left. We knew ‘Yo quiero Taco Bell’ because that was the phrase on the commercials back then. But, we were motivated by a deep sense of responsibility. As Americans we have been given so much, and there are countries all around the world that do not have access to the many things that we do. So, we felt that our family had been gifted in such a special way by being able to give back.

The Earnharts lived in Peru for 15 years. Their volunteerism in Peru was a family affair, with all children helping in nonprofit and religious volunteer organizations, often working in orphanages or schools.

“I taught in an American school which offered courses in English and courses dealing with religion,” Earnhart said. “I also taught courses in what they would call estates, or public school funded by government. I also did a lot of training and leadership for teachers.”

Even while living in Peru, the Earnharts tried to stay rooted and raise their family in the way of American life. They communicated and stayed in touch with family members in the states.

“Although we were travelling to another country, we knew that we could come back and visit,” Earnhart said. “And with technology and transportation, the modern world makes that very easy. We came back every 3-4 years, but we did a lot of Skyping and Facebooking.”

Due to her younger daughter contracting Chagas disease in 2014 and the lack of sufficient medical care in Peru, the Earnharts moved back to the United States. While settling back in the United States, Mrs. Earnhart became aware of an open teaching position.

“I found out about the job from Mrs. Fischer herself, the teacher whose position I am filling,” Earnhart said. “It’s actually really cool actually how I met Mrs. Fischer. We had just come to Michigan and we enrolled our daughters in a gymnastics class to keep them busy. While speaking to my girls in Spanish at class one day, Mrs. Fischer overheard me speaking to them because her girls were in the same class. So, we began a conversation and we would see each other occasionally at class. And it was through her that I found out about the opportunity to teach Spanish at Fenton.”

Although she has just began her teaching residency at FHS, Earnhart said she can already see the potential for Spanish students to succeed. As someone who lived in a Spanish speaking country for over a decade, Earnhart hopes to show students how to implement the language outside of the classroom.

“I see that the students have a wonderful grasp of Spanish grammar and I’m hoping that this year I’m able to bring the practical side of Spanish,” Earnhart said. “Take what you know, put it into action and how can I get apply what I know, how can I confidently speak with the native Spanish speaker and walk away from the conversation knowing that I was understood, that I communicated well, and that I understood what was spoken to me.”