Boys’ varsity tennis takes third in Metro Tournament

Michael Pearce, Sports Editor

As the boys’ varsity tennis team headed to Clio this morning at around nine to face off against six other teams for the Metro League tournament, they had one team on their mind. Holly.

“I think everyone on the team wanted to beat Holly in the tournament,” sophomore Ethan Gutzeit said. “I think we did pretty well placing third, but we could have done better and taken second or first.”

Each member of the tennis team plays three matches, regardless of outcome. If an individual loses their match, they are still given the opportunity to compete for points for their team in a separate bracket.

“We were two points away from the second place team, Flushing,” senior captain Cameron Cislo said. “I am happy with our placement, we also have another opportunity at regionals next Friday in Holly.”

Cislo believed his individual performance was solid, but as always could use improvement on the fundamentals.

“I personally did very well and had a lot of good hits,” Cislo said. “But I still had some mistakes. To prevent more mistakes the whole team just has to practice, working on our forehands and backhands more.”

The team heads to the regional tournaments on Oct. 7 at Holly looking to improve upon their recent tournament placing.