The City of Fenton builds a memorial dedicated to the lives lost on Sept. 11, 2001

Ellie Vasbinder, Writer

The morning of Sept. 11, 2001, children of today’s age were just learning their first words, while adults were hovering over televisions. Exactly 15 years later, local citizens of all ages gather around the Fenton Fire Department to view the opening of the 9/11 memorial. Including a piece of steel from the World Trade Center, the tribute to the people affected by this tragedy installed by the firefighters themselves.

“The goal was to create a space for people of all ages to be able to learn about, reflect and honor those that were lost that day,” Chief Robert Cairnduff of the Fenton Fire Department said. “We hope that this site will be here for a very long time and that the people that visit it will “Never Forget” the events of Sept. 11, 2001.”

The remembrance site finished production before the 15th anniversary. The budget cost about $20,000 and was made up through various donations from the members of the community. This sentimental piece will serve as a reminder to people of all ages.

“The memorial might invoke curiosity,” English teacher Sarah Anderson said. “For people who do not know about it, they might want to know more. For those who have lived and experienced it, it is a reminder that it happened. Some people would look at it as the country having grown stronger and as a moment of coming together.”

Children of first responders also feel the memorial has a similar impact on the community. Many firefighters and policemen made a trip to New York after the attacks to help with what they could. Kids of all ages have the opportunity to learn from this event.

“I think that it shows kids that it happened to us as a country and we overcame it,” sophomore Ethan Crawford said. “I think we need to learn about 9/11 because we need to keep watching out for more terrorist attacks, you never know when they could hit. There are terrorist attacks all the time. We need to stay educated on them and know what we went through as a country, because we are still impacted by it today.”

The memorial is open to the public in Downtown Fenton. Citizens are encouraged to visit the remembrance site and honor the millions affected by this catastrophe.