Adults visit classrooms to share real world experiences for Career Day

Michael Pearce, Sports Editor

To provide clarity for the conflicted student, adults working in the real world paid a visit to classrooms to provide information about their careers. On Oct. 26, SRTs shut down travel and provided a Career Day for their classrooms.

“Career Day is incredibly valuable to our students,” Principal Mark Suchowski said. “It shows them different careers and more importantly the path it took to get there. It is about the story of the journey, not just the specific career the person has.”

The path is something that founder of C.O.P.S (Concern Over Police Safety) Herm Ferguson stressed during his presentation to Geometry and AP Statistics teacher Mike Pearce’s SRT.

“This is my seventh time doing Career Day,” Ferguson said. “In those seven years, I’ve learned it isn’t about me, it’s about the kids. They are the future of this community. To make a change in the world, we have to make a change in the community first, and that’s why I’m here. I believe in them, and I hope I can inspire them to make a difference today.”

Many careers have been represented by Career Day. Classes have met pilots, admissions officers, business owners and former police officers to name a few. This year was no different in terms of variety.

“My uncle is an astronomer. He ran a planetarium for years,” senior Heather Griffiths said. “He also owns the largest observatory in Michigan in the ‘thumb’. We always have the same careers, so having atypical careers lets kids see more of what’s out there than just the typical ones we get.”

With 90 minutes to question professionals and their background, students have the opportunity to expand their knowledge of possible avenues for adulthood.

Freshman Colin Brawner listens to speakers talk about their jobs on Career Panel day. Colin along with all the other high school students talked and asked questions to the volunteers to learn more about different career fields.
PHOTO Kaitlin Gruber

“One of the most important aspects is the fact that students are able to learn what classes that adult took that helped them in their career,” Suchowski said. “Students need to know there is value in high school and that it has importance later in their lives.”