Key Club offers prize to top SRT class in upcoming food drive

Gracie Warda, Writer

The holiday season is underway, and families across the community are preparing for Halloween trick-or-treating and Thanksgivingdinners. But, with more than 25 percent of FHS students on free or reduced lunch, many families may find it difficult to put food on the table. To help these families, Key Club is conducting a food drive that will be a competition between the SRTs.

“We’re try ing to see what will motivate students to participate in the food drive,” Principal Mark Suchowski said. “And that might be a trophy for their SRT or a big breakfast. Something to promote family and working together within their SRT.”

Previous food drives lacked participation, so Key Club works to further advertise the event.
“In the last two years we’ve kind of felt like at the last minute we weren’t sure if we were going to have enough food baskets for the over 100 families who request them,” Suchowski said. “I’d like every SRT to participate, for every student to participate in one way or another.”

Key club members will meet on Nov. 1 to plan and advertise the food drive. The group hopes to work more cohesively and improve their methods of fundraising in order to maximize the number of donations they receive.

“In previous years, we’ve lacked numbers in the sense of participation school-wide,” Key Club secretary senior Kate Preiss said. “We’re hoping that meeting will put everyone on the same page and strengthen everything. With all of the new members and all the people aware of the food drive, they can tell their friends and we can get the word around.”

Students and staff are encouraged to participate and to spread the word of the food drive and. Key Club hopes that with more participation, they will be able to provide a greater number of meals for members of the community. The collection boxes for the food items will be distributed to SRT’s by Nov. 1 and will remain in the classrooms through Dec 1.