AGS student Ryder Spees takes Algebra 2 at the high school

PHOTO Katelyn Britton

Eight grader Ryder Spees sits among his fellow Algebra 2 classmates, all several years older than him.

Ellie Vasbinder, Writer

While other students are allowed only seven minutes to get to their class, eighth grader Ryder Spees requires 10. Every A Day at 12:40 p.m., Spees makes the 10 minute walk from the middle school to the high school for Algebra 2. At 12:50 p.m., he sits down at his assigned seat surrounded by kids two to three years older than him. Spees says he feels anxious despite knowing the benefits of taking this class.

“I had been in advanced math classes for a while. I took the [placement] test and was recommended I take this class,” Spees said. “I think that when I get into high school I will be ahead enough to get into a good college.”
Algebra 2 teacher John Gilbert has taught middle schoolers in the past. Gilbert said he teaches his underclassmen under the same conditions as he would his upperclassmen.

“I’ve had some middle school students who are very mature,” Gilbert said. “Who get along real well, do the work and ask questions, and I’ve had students who struggle with not being the smartest in the class anymore.”

The younger students who take advanced classes at the high school might be expected to have some difficulties adjusting to their new environment, which is drastically different from their regular classes.

“They’re not comfortable enough yet to say they’re struggling,” Gilbert said. “That’s a challenge for younger students, it’s hard even for a high school student to admit that.”

Despite the challenges, Spees said he is adapting well. He feels comfortable in the class and is starting to participate more. Being in a class with older kids is believed to be hard, but learning the same things with them and being at the same level makes it easier to feel younger.

“At the beginning, I was nervous,” Spees said, “but the kids in the class, as well as Mr. Gilbert, make the class feel like any of my other classes.”

Spees continues to take this class here at Fenton, but he has plans to transfer to Powers Catholic High School, where his sister currently attends. There, he will take a placement test to see if he will move on to Pre-Calculus.