Staff Ed: Lack of funds reduces ability to learn

Staff Editorial, Opinion

School funding has a significant impact on student performance. A lack of funding typically leads to larger class sizes and less technology and curriculum materials.

The more students a teacher has, the less attention they can pay to each individual students. This can become significant when there is a class full of 30-40 students at varying academic levels.

Extensive research conducted by the Center for Public Education found that gains in achievement generally occur when class size is reduced to less than 20 students. The attention that students receive from teachers is one of the most important in terms of development, and with a smaller classes it is easier to give individual students more attention. However, according to Principal Mark Suchowski, because of the way classes at Fenton are chosen, where students are allowed to chose the classes they want, there are going to be some uneven classes in terms of how many students are in one class over another.

Students in any class, need to have proper resources in order for them to perform at their highest potential. Ripped pages and outdated textbooks can have an impact on learning. On the inside cover of a literature textbook from Fenton, the stamp reveals that it’s been in circulation in the school since 1997. Many textbooks just like this one were updated in 2005 and yet some copies from the’90s are still being used.

For the district, it is not a question of getting more funds, it is a question of how the funds that are available can be maximized to be used in the most efficient way. The federal government spent a total of $3.5 trillion in fiscal year 2015. That means the approximate $141 billion in education spending only accounts for approximately four percent of the entire federal budget. While billions dedicated to schools across the country sounds like a lot, many districts just like Fenton have faced monetary issues and setbacks. The district needs to make changes to ensure that the funds are used most efficiently and wisely for what will assist students learning.

Teachers must be equipped with engaging technological tools covering the standards they are required to teach. Technology is a tremendous academic tool, but it is also pricey to purchase, maintain and upgrade. Not every student needs a school provided computer to take home, nor do they need the newest, best textbooks. Students don’t expect resources that are obviously unaffordable. They just need something at level with their learning. Something that will give every students the highest ability to learn. The district must continue to employ fund- saving steps in order to optimize student learning ability and maintain education levels.