Local restaurant, The Barn provides meals to the community on Thanksgiving Day

Jacob Angelovski

Audrey Strickhouser, Writer

The comfort of people, sharing funny memories and stories with each other about things they are grateful for. A big bite into creamy mashed potatoes and the juicy turkey that your family has been preparing all day. These are some of the qualities of Thanksgiving that many take for granted, and The Barn restaurant has realized that. For the people that are in need of this perfect Thanksgiving day, The Barn opens their doors from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m to serve. The Barn will provide these people in need a warm Thanksgiving meal and offer the company of others. The owner of The Barn, Jason Warda, has held this event before to give back to the community and make a difference in the town. With hopes of being able to help more than 200 people this year, Warda feels the impact will be substantial.

“I know we are definitely helping the people who are in need and decide to come,” Warda said. “If It makes their day brighter, it makes me feel like I am making a big difference in the community.”

Freshman Lydia Podlesak is taking Thanksgiving Day to pay it forward at the Barn restaurant. By helping to prepare the meals in the kitchen, serve others their hot meal, and meet new people by giving company to those that may be alone on this day, Podlesak feels she will be helping the community.

“My family and I did not have plans for Thanksgiving Day, so we decided to take part in this event,” Podlesak said. “We realize how fortunate we are and that some people are not as lucky. Taking part allows me to help others, which is something my family and I love to do. I’m very excited to be helping to serve the food because it will be rewarding to serve other people on this holiday. While serving others I will hopefully meet new people and be able to hear their stories.”

Warda was inspired to hold the event when the realization came that not only are some people in need of a warm meal but not everyone has company on Thanksgiving Day. So especially if you may be alone on Thanksgiving Day, people are encouraged to come down to The Barn and enjoy a delicious meal because The Barn feels that everyone deserves to be around company on the holidays.

“Thanksgiving Day is a time for everyone to be with their friends and family,” Warda said. “Unfortunately, there are some members in our community who have no one to spend this day with. That being said, elders and veterans are encouraged to come and take advantage of not only the hot meals but also the good company.”

Volunteers are recruited on The Barn Facebook page where there is a signup sheet to both donate food and serve others. Some of the jobs that are available to be signed up for are to cook food, help set up, wash dishes, serve food, drop off ham, turkey, or pie, and take leftovers to shelter when event is finished. This event is free to anyone in need, so anyone is welcome to show up, no one will be turned away. There will also be a donation table that will provide clothes and essentials to those in need.