Athletics promote t-shirt design contest

Michael Pearce, Sports Editor

Flyers lining the hallways advertise a t-shirt contest promoted by the Fenton Athletic Program. The flyers read ‘Fenton Athletics needs your help designing our 2016 Year of The Tiger T-Shirt! Show your tiger pride.’

“In the past we haven’t really had many shirts that represent the whole athletic program,” Athletic Director Mike Bakker said. “This idea was really born from a conversation I had with Mr. Sullivan that we should really be celebrating this calendar year’s achievements, and brand this year as the ‘Year of The Tiger.’”

While the submission deadline is Dec. 7, a couple of submissions have already been received by Athletic Secretary Ashley Chalut.

“I have received two submissions already,” Chalut said. “What we want is a shirt that displays the ‘Year of The Tiger’ theme only on the front, because on the back we will have all the teams’ accolades from the start of 2016.”

The two current contestants are junior Michael Stinson, and senior Brandon Emmons.

“I’m not really nervous as to the outcome,” Stinson said. “I make money off of graphic design through twitter and social media. People ask me to design something for them and I charge between $15 and $60. I want to do this as a career, so it’s important to me that I win.”

The winner of the contest receives a free t-shirt that they designed, but the t-shirts are about the fans, says Bakker.

“We just want to make something that encompasses the phenomenal year our sports teams had as a whole,” Bakker said. “We want to get kids wearing Fenton stuff and show some school pride. That’s the goal of this contest.”

After the submission deadline, the voting begins electronically for students on Dec. 9 at 12 p.m. The next two stages of voting, which include FHS Coaches and Staff and then administrators from all FAPS buildings, will close along with student voting at 12 p.m. on Mar. 16.