The Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce holds a leadership training program

Madi Wheeler, Writer

The Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce is offering TeenQuest, a program for high school students interested in pre-employability leadership training. After completion of the program, students may apply to the 2017 Summer Youth Initiative Job Fair.

“We had received the opportunity to run a teen employment program called the summer youth initiative,” Vice President of TeenQuest Rhetta Hunyady said. “What we realized right away was teens weren’t quite ready for a job. They didn’t really know how to interview, they weren’t sure about how to fill out applications and resumes and they weren’t prepared for what to expect when they went to work. So I started thinking about a model, which then become today what is known as TeenQuest. And so we started the program in 2005, we’ve been running the program now for 11 years.”

When kids come into the program, many do not have the right tools that they need to enter into a job position. However after completing TeenQuest, students will be better equipped for the future.

“There are 13 different modules that we take the students through, during the course of the 5 week period for the program,” Hunyady said. “They [the modules] range from interviews and resumes, but they also learn about managing change, goal setting, taking initiative, resolving conflict in a positive way so that you respect everybody involved in the situation. You learn about financial literacy, so once you make some money, how can you be really smart with that money and what are some really good skills to learn now as a teen that will serve you well as an adult.”

The next available session for TeenQuest from Jan. 9 until Feb. 9. In order to participate, students must attend high school in Genesee County and be 14-18 years old and in grades 9-12.