Sculpting class advances art skills based in foundation

Lukas Zywicki, Writer

Sculpting occupies the 1A and 4B blocks, and is led by art teacher Teresa Moss. It is about sculpting and improvement on the basics of the entry level class, Art Foundation I.

“This class builds on what the students learned in Art Foundation,” Moss said. “Art Foundation is like the basics of art and learning how to use different materials. They might make one sculpture a year, but in this class, the students make sculptures and they use what they learned with the materials.”

In order to explore further into the art world some students might have taken this class. A previous positive experience could motivate students to take Sculpting.

“I think that students have taken this class because they had a good experience in Art Foundation,” Moss said. “Another opportunity in this class is that the students get to break the rules of art and almost create their own new rules. They also want to do more than what they have done in the past. More time for more advanced art is something that these students wanted.”

The teachers can say what they want, but it is all up to the students to decide on what classes they take. Students like senior Liam Adams have taken this class for a reason.

“I took Sculpture [class] because I wanted to explore the art world,” Adams said. “I also took Art Foundation as a freshman, and I enjoyed it.”

Moss said that it was not as much a class as a time for students to enjoy themselves. It helps the students be more open and comfortable.

“I am very passionate about art, and I want my students to love it,” Moss said. “One thing is that my class is very relaxed because art is like therapy.”

Moss has been teaching at FHS since September. She said that she has loved it so far and expects to have a great year.