A playlist of songs to encourage a good mood

Ellie Vasbinder, Writer

As winter takes its toll, it is vital to keep your spirits up. This playlist reminds listeners of what it is like in the summer, and why we should keep looking forward to those times. Whether you listen to pop, rock, country or jazz, this music was made to listen to when in need of cheering up.

“T-Shirt Weather,” Circa Waves
“I remember T-shirt weather, I remember some days, we were singing our lungs out in the backseat together.”
This song will remind listeners of the “better times”. The quote specifically takes people to carefree moments when the weather was nice and all anyone wanted to do was take long car rides while singing along to good music. The guitar has a beachy tune to it and the lyrics are something easy to sing along to which will always put anyone in a better mood.

“Daylight,” Matt & Kim
“Cause in the daylight anywhere feels like home.”
“Daylight” is a light and happy song that will make anyone want to dance. It is fast-paced, and sort of quirky. It talks about traveling places and hoping to see more clearly. When you hear it, you’ll feel is inspired for the future and the places you will go and the people you will meet.

“Nine In The Afternoon,” Panic! At The Disco
“Feeling so good, just the way that we do.”
The piano canon is fast paced and will always put in better spirits. The song has a variety of instruments in it including trumpet and violin, the combination of them all makes it unique. With minimal and repetitive lyrics, it is the instruments and background music that make this song lively. It is both bittersweet and happy.

“Middle,” DJ Snake feat. Bipolar Sunshine
“I’ll promise to build a new world for us two.”
This song was popular at the beginning of the summer, ranking top 20 in US Billboard Hot 100. Whenever it comes on, memories of vacation flood back. It talks about doubting oneself and the future, but also how he promises it will get better. The tune is easy to get stuck in someone’s head, but in the best way.

“Dog Days Are Over,” Florence + The Machine
“The dog days are over, the dog days are done.”
The lyrics of this song are about newfound happiness. They are saying the “dog days” or the “tough times” have passed. It is telling a story about a girl overcoming the dark times of her life. It’s important to know the intentions of the lyrics. Many have suffered through a difficult time in their lives and know it gets better and that is what the artist is telling the listeners. To go with the simultaneously sad and happy story, the song starts off slower, then gradually picks up pace. With light instrumental in the beginning, it swiftly accelerates with hand claps and light ukulele.

“Ride,” Twenty One Pilots
“I’m falling, so I’m taking my time on my ride.”
This song reminds me that It’s important to live life to its fullest and savor every moment. Its words sound happy but with more serious undertones. The reggae gives it a beachy feel and it’s perfect to listen to on road trips.

“Island In The Sun,” Weezer
“On an island in the sun, we’ll be playing and having fun.”
“Island In The Sun” has an upbeat guitar riff. It immediately takes you to a happier place. The lyrics describe the perfect feeling of a vacation and how everyone wants to be in that happy place.

“Interlude: Holiday,” Paramore
“Now I get a holiday, I think I’ll stay.”
“Interlude: Holiday” is a short song about finishing high school and moving on to better times. The ukulele is light and flowy, making you feel like you should move on to better times, too. The song is relatable to teens who are anticipating moving on from high school and discovering new places.