Wrestling defeats Clio, takes first in dual matches

Lukas Zywicki, Writer

Fenton wrestling traveled to Clio for a dual style tournament against Clio and Flushing on Wednesday, Jan. 11. Six of the varsity wrestlers won all of their matches and helped Fenton restore its place in the division. As a team, they won both duals and ended up winning the tournament.

“We did very well as a whole,” senior Connor Putman said. “It was a team effort and we everybody stepped up to the plate. Although we lost 11 total varsity matches,we still won 16 total. Those wins gave us 80 total points, that was enough to win both duals for first place.”

Part of the success was heavyweight wrestler junior Devin Fuller.

“I think that I did really well,” Fuller said. “I ended up winning both matches by pins, so overall I got 12 team points, which made a big difference in the outcome of it all.”

An athlete on the Clio team in the 119 weight class is ranked 4th in the state. That put 119 pound freshman Brady Triola up to the test.

“This was a very difficult opponent,” Triola said. “I made it all three periods, but ended up losing 8-6. I hate the feeling of a loss, especially when it is up against one of the most respected wrestlers in my weight class. I could have won that match.”

So far this season, the team is above a .500 winning percentage, winning about half of their matches. This is more than their total wins during the past two seasons. When in the past two years, there have only been 7 victories all together. They have over doubled the win ratio.

“We think the season has gone pretty well, we have or 10 wins and five losses,” junior Thomas Adams said. “We have already gotten more wins then we had in the last two years combined. So we are off to a great start, and I hope it will continue.”

The wrestling team competes at home on Saturday, Jan. 21, starting at 9:30 a.m..