District faces lack of substitutes and bus drivers

Ellie Vasbinder, Writer

Mary Radtke, Secretary of Transportation and former bus driver, waved goodbye to her students as they exited the bus. Some of these students she had just met, others she had known for more than four years and were preparing to go off to college soon. Former students were married. Through her 18 years of bus driving, she stuck with this job, despite the declining numbers of her coworkers. In the past six years, Radtke has become aware to the declining amount of bus drivers and substitute teachers as well.

“A large part of our shortage of bus drivers seemed to begin in 2011 with the loss of mid-day transportation for kindergarten,” Radtke said. “Several drivers lost their full time status, which meant a cut in pay and loss of benefits. Health insurance was a huge loss for many drivers, being able to provide health insurance for their family was very appealing.”

Because of the cut in pay and loss of health insurance, some drivers left the district. To help remedy the situation, the district may consider privatizing the drivers. Privatizing is when a worker is employed by a private business rather than the school district.

“Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a way to fix these shortages due to the financial situation that this country has put our school districts in,” Radtke said. “It doesn’t look like increasing the salary or hours will be an option. The only solution that we can continue to offer is to avoid privatizing our drivers. That is all that we currently have to offer our present and future drivers. We have had drivers come over from other districts that have privatized and we are so fortunate to have them.”

School districts are experiencing shortages in substitute teachers as well. In light of this, the school has turned to asking contracted teachers to fill in for their coworkers.

“I think there are these shortages because it’s not guaranteed that they’ll have a job, therefore they have to find a job elsewhere,” substitute teacher Mary Wood said. “Also, sometimes your days aren’t prepared for you. The teacher might be extremely busy and unable to provide lesson plans which causes substitutes who don’t have the background in teaching to not completely know what to do.”

Both bus drivers and substitutes are experiencing the effects of these shortages. With their last minute calls for substitute drivers and teachers alike, the district is left with little options to turn to.