All-State athletes who have potential to be inducted into Hall of Fame

Cameron Mathews, Sports Editor

The following students are All-State athletes. These student athletes have the potential to be inducted into the Fenton Education Foundation Hall of Fame, 10 years following their graduation.

Freshman Alexa Keiser
Fall 2016 cross country
“I placed third at the regional meet to qualify for the state meet; I placed 17th at the state meet. I feel honored because it’s the first time members of the girls cross country team has ever been put on the wall as All-State athletes; I’m really excited to be a part of that. We want to eventually get more and more of our team up there in the coming years, too.”

Sophomore Cami Tiemann
Fall 2016 cross country
“It’s my first time receiving the title, and going for the title has been a goal of mine since my freshman year. It was especially rewarding since freshman Alexa Keiser and I were the first girls in Fenton cross country history to make all-state. It is an amazing feeling knowing that all my hard work paid off throughout the season and knowing that my name picture will be on the wall for years to come.”

Junior Taylor Shegos
Fall 2015 and 2016 swim and dive
“I placed fifth at state finals last year, and this year I moved up to placing second at finals. I got stronger over the past year, I learned harder dives and I think I did better than I did my sophomore year. I was hoping for it this after having gotten it last year. I’m excited because then people will be made aware that I am an all-state athlete, and I might be named as an All-American diver, but I will not find out until maybe July because they have to wait for everyone’s seasons to be completed.”

Senior Logan Carter
Spring 2016 softball
“It’s an honor to be named all-state; it’s something that you strive for. It’s always a possibility to be named again, for the next season, but it’s never a guarantee. It feels weird knowing that people are going to be walking by my picture everyday, but it’s still an honor to be named and the fact that people can look and know that is cool.”

Senior Andrew Bond
Fall 2015 and 2016 cross country
“Last year I took fourth place at the Regional meet and 26th in the state. This year, our team was moved to a new region, and I won the Regional Meet and placed seventh at the state meet. It’s an incredible feeling knowing that years from now, I can come back and see that picture, friends of mine will see it, generations from now will see it and it just feels really special.”

Senior Maddie Hall
Spring 2015 Track and Field
“I received the title in long jump my sophomore year, where I placed sixth of nine. I had an injury my junior year, so it affected my performance; I placed ninth in long jump, and you have to be in the top eight, but I still have the upcoming season to try to gain that title again. It’s really cool because I get to be a part of history and up in the hallway of Fenton High School; I like seeing the older pictures from those before me and thinking that people in the future can look at me the same way I look at those photos and that’s really neat.”

Senior Reid Thompson
Fall 2016 football
“I had enough writers that had mentioned my name for not only first team all-state, but I was also named as a part of the Dream Team, which narrows the running from about 50 candidates down to 22. I was really excited by this because as a lineman, you don’t really get a lot of praise and spotlight, so to find that my film stuck out enough to be named to the Dream Team; it’s a really cool feeling. I told my dad that my goal was to always get my picture on the wall at school and, in a way, leave a legacy here at the school. To get my name up on the wall really means a lot to me because that was the original goal.”

Senior Liam Adams
Fall 2016 boys varsity soccer
“I was an all-state honorable mention my junior year; I worked considerably harder over the summer to be able to better my performance for this last season. I feel very fortunate to be a part of FHS athletic history after such a successful season. I’m just happy that our program was recognized for great accomplishments. It also feels great it be noticed as an all-state athlete and to contribute to a school as good as ours.”

Senior Jessica Warford
Fall 2016 varsity girls volleyball
“I have put in so much work over the past few years, but ultimately without my team I could not have accomplished this; we all had good chemistry this year. It’s humbling to see myself with the other great athletes on the wall that have set records before me. I am very honored to set an example for those who come after me. It will push me to play my best when I play at Ferris State University while knowing that I did my best at the high school level.”

MISSING Senior Zoe Weinberg.