SAT required by state, ACT remains a secondary option

Senior Jessica Pierce recalls the struggles of being a junior amidst the confusion of standardized tests. Many questions ran through her mind; she asked herself “Why do I even need to take the ACT?” and “Why are the tests necessary for me to get into college?” Like many others have found, the struggles soon seemed to vanish and she found herself able to navigate through the standardized testing process.

“Going into junior year, I was unfamiliar with the standardized tests,” Pierce said. “After scheduling an appointment and talking with my counselor, I learned that taking both the SAT and ACT would be beneficial. After taking both tests, I soon learned that I liked the format of the ACT a lot better. This is because there was more of the English section on the test which is what I am best at. I also liked that I was able to use a calculator on the math section of the test.”

Counselors are able to provide students with information about the standardized tests. Knowing the basics of each test can clear confusion.

“The SAT and the ACT are both college entrance exams,” counselor Michelle Pietraszkiewicz said. “Colleges use these tests to predict how well students will do in their school. The SAT replaced the ACT when it was contracted by the state of Michigan. Now, every junior will take the SAT test April 11. The ACT is not required by the state of Michigan, yet, can be taken by students outside of school and can also help getting into college.”

Students can sign up for the ACT using act.org, and the SAT by using collegeboard.org. Counselors recommend juniors do sign up for the ACT to be able to compare the two tests.

“I would definitely recommend that juniors take the June test,” counselor Vicky Russell said. “Then students will know how the content in the ACT compares with the SAT. If students end up liking the ACT better than the SAT, then they can use the summer to prepare to take the ACT again in the fall to enhance their score.”

The main difference between the two entrance exams is the content. Most colleges will accept either test. Some colleges, like Kalamazoo College, do not require a standardized test score. Students are encouraged to check the requirements for the colleges they are interested in.

“The main subjects on ACT are always English, math and science,” Pietraszkiewicz said. “Reading, writing and grammar are the sub categories in English. Science is typically physical science and biology. The math section covers algebra and geometry. On the math portion of the ACT students will be able to use a calculator.”

The weight of the sections can differ between the two tests because the content in the ACT differs from the SAT.
“Half of your score for the SAT is based upon math,” Pietraszkiewicz said. “The math section contains the subjects algebra 1 and 2. You can use your calculator on part of the math portion but on the other part you cannot. There is also an English section that focuses on writing. Historical pieces are also into the test where have to analyze and read the pieces for information.”

Scheduling an appointment to discuss testing options with a counselor is an option for students. Talk to secretary Kim Stapp in the counseling office to set up a meeting.