The Armed Forces provide an alternative career path following graduation

Madi Wheeler, Writer

As many seniors begin finding plans for college and figuring out the details, some students have chosen a different route for life following graduation. An alternative path students may not have considered before is going into any of the armed forces: Marines, Navy, Air Force, Army. Many have found there to be an array of benefits to enlisting.

“One benefit is experience,” United States Marines recruiter Sergeant Zachary K. Collmenter said. “Many jobs require not only a degree, but experience, too. The Marine Corps has more than 300 jobs throughout multiple career fields. This allows you to not only get trained and certified through the Marines, but also have a chance to get an apprenticeship from the United States Department of Labor.”

Aside from experience, there are financial and domestic benefits to going right into the armed forces after high school.

“I believe it is important for kids to enlist right out of high school for a few key reasons,” Collmenter said. “The first reason will be tuition assistance for kids looking for college but need help paying for it. Another reason is direction. Many kids don’t have a solid obtainable plan for after high school. Even the kids who go through college first are switching majors more often because they come to find out it’s not what they want. The Marine Corps offers direction as far as a guaranteed job with income, free medical and dental insurance, along with multiple other benefits depending on the individual.”

“The Marine Corps has over 300 jobs throughout multiple career fields. This allows you to not only get trained and certified through the Marines, but also have a chance to get an apprenticeship from the US Department of Labor.”

– Sergeant Zachary K. Collmenter

Enrolling in the Marine Corps can help students receive tuition assistance and give them direction all while offering the comfort of knowing that they have means to survive after high school by going into the armed forces.

“A large number of students decide to enlist right out of high school for the security that the Marine Corps can provide,” Collmenter said. “Whether it is knowing that their education will be paid for or knowing that they can get out of high school and start a career and be successful right out of the gate.”

Any students looking to gain more information about the armed forces should talk to the recruiters who visit the school every Tuesday through Thursday in the cafeteria, or visit the counseling office for any additional information.

Armed Forces Scholarships:

ARMY ROTC SCHOLARSHIP
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must be a U.S. citizen, between the ages of 17 and 26, graduated high school with a GPA of at least 2.5, a score of at least 920 on the SAT or 19 on the ACT and also meet physical standards. Those willing to serve in the Army on Active Duty or in a Reserve Component and abide to all the other requirements can be eligible for scholarship.

AIR FORCE ROTC SCHOLARSHIP
In order to apply for this scholarship, you must be enrolled in the Air Force ROTC beginning with the coming fall term, accept a commission as an Air Force Officer and serve at least four years on active duty. Air Force scholarships cover tuition and most other fees. Also, you’ll receive an annual textbook allowance and up to a $500 monthly stipend for various expenses.

MARINES UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP
This program is available to students enlisting in the Marines. The scholarship provides an opportunity to receive training and to get funding for your education simultaneously. If you earn a scholarship, you can complete the rest of your education with the United States Marine Corps footing the entire bill; including fees, tuition, and a small monthly stipend for various expenses.