Media center displays award winning books in honor of Love Your Library event

During+her+media+service+class%2C+sophomore+Jenna+Thornton+straightens+up+the+book+fair+that+was+taking+place+in+the+library.+

PHOTO Maya Mead

During her media service class, sophomore Jenna Thornton straightens up the book fair that was taking place in the library.

Tess DeGayner, Website Editor in Chief

The media center opened prior to standard time on Feb. 23 for an event to promote the significant role the library and the books play within the building.

“This is Love Your Library month and we decided to do an event that would promote the media center and it’s resources,” media specialist Rachael Hodges said. “In conjunction with the ELA Writing Awards that we’re giving out on Jan. 23 we ordered those books to display. Our students in the media center were researching books pertained to teens that got awards and they pulled the ones we already had so then we knew what new award books to order.”

Coffee and hot chocolate sat among the novels for a warm drink to attract students to start the school day with a warm drink and a good read.

“Tim Horton’s offered us a discount for warm drinks and treats to help promote the event. I think it was successful, we had 150 cups to begin with and now we are down to 15 cups left. I saw a lot of students we typically don’t see and they stopped go get treats and browse the displays. Some even asked us to check them out to read them.”

Video Courtesy of FHS News 74