Spring Break dates change starting in 2018 due to April testing

Madi Wheeler, Writer

The Genesee Intermediate School District (GISD) has come to a decision to move spring break, starting the 2018-2019 school year. The State of Michigan will require testing during the second week of April.

“We have had a lot of discussion at the county level about the best approach to ensuring that our students have time to prepare for the SAT,” Superintendent Dr. Adam Hartley said. “The superintendents, high school principals and curriculum directors across the county agreed that changing the spring break dates to March would help schools when it came to the testing window.”

The superintendents, principals and curriculum directors all agreed that changing the dates for spring break made sense for students who wanted to enjoy their break, instead of worrying about testing.

“I agree with the change,” Hartley said. “Returning from a week break and starting the testing window right away will place more pressure on students and staff. I believe by moving the break back a week, our staff and students will be able to enjoy the days off rather than think about the upcoming testing days.”

The schedule change will not be put into place until 2018 because of the approaching break.

“Spring break will remain the same for the 2017-18 school year,” Hartley said. “We know that families have already booked trips and wanted to give schools ample to make adjustments to their calendars.”

Testing will begin when the district returns from spring break on Monday, April 10. The testing calendar follows.