Take Your Pick: As final decisions are released, students weigh options; plan futures

Surrounded by bright brochures and staring at his acceptance letters, senior Ross Person silently debates which school he wants to attend for the next four years.

“My decision was down to Kettering and U of M Flint,” Person said. “It was difficult because University of Michigan-Flint would be cheaper for me, but Kettering has the co-op program I want. Kettering allows me to earn money during college, which I can put toward my school payments.”

On occasion, the choice between two schools is obvious: money, programs and the location of the school are often deciding factors.

For some students, one school meets all of their criteria. The dream was all there ever was for senior Madison Kautman, who has had a close connection with her college of choice for years.

“I chose MSU because I love the campus and the atmosphere,” Kautman said. “My sister is a senior there, so I’ve been able to shadow her over the years and that’s how I decided I wanted to go there. I’m also undecided on a major right now and because they have so many possible majors, I know I can figure out what I want to do without worrying about transferring somewhere else. I did consider Oakland as another option, but I pretty much always knew I was going to MSU.”

Senior Gabrielle Kline changed her ideal school after some consideration on price and overall experience.

“Initially, I wanted to attend Columbia- an art school in Chicago,” Kline said. “However, I ended up choosing to start at Bowling Green State University in Ohio and transfer to Columbia after two years. BGSU is closer to home, tuition is less than half the price of Columbia’s, and I will get more of the ‘college experience’ since it’s not just an art school.”

For students not quite as far along in the college search, the Metro Detroit National College Fair is Monday, March 31, at the Suburban Collection Showplace in Novi, MI. Admissions officers from a selection of local and out-of-state colleges will be in attendance to provide information and answer questions to students beginning the college selection process. A complete list of colleges attending as well as registration is available online at nacacnet.com.