Eating healthy means feeling healthy

Ellie Vasbinder, Assistant Print Editor in Chief

What you put in your body can affect how you feel. Swinging by fast food restaurants on your way home from practice may feel fair, though regularly eating takeout foods, processed meats and sugary snacks can lead to mental and health issues. Eating too much or too little or consuming foods low in fibre, high in fat, salt and/or sugar are included in a poor nutrition.

“Maintaining healthy dietary habits and a routine is one way to help set the body up for a healthy future,” MPH (Masters of Public Health) Nikki Flynn said. “The sooner habits are established, the easier it will be to maintain and will likely lower the risk for negative diet related conditions such as heart disease and diabetes.

Another healthy habit is to learn to cook in an effective, health conscious way.

“Learning how to prepare and cook fruits and vegetables makes eating them much more convenient and tasty,” Flynn said “Also, learning how to cook large batches of healthy meals makes it easy to have good food, rather than fast food on hand when life gets busy.”

According to helpguide.org, eating protein is necessary in giving you energy to get up and going, while also supporting cognitive function.

“Protein is an important part of a healthy diet,” Flynn said. “Though lean protein is a type of protein that has little to no animal fat in it, making it healthier. For example, chicken, turkey, beans, tofu, eggs, and nuts are considered lean proteins. “

Flynn also includes that fruits and vegetables are the cornerstone of a healthy diet, as well as whole grains. Greens have important vitamins, minerals and other properties, while whole grains give carbohydrates.

“I’m a vegetarian so I don’t really eat meat,” sophomore Sheehan Personett said. “I eat a lot of veggies and carbohydrates. To replace meat I have protein drinks, protein bars, beans and nuts. As far as physical health, I notice it in the way I look and the way my skin looks. Eating healthy makes your skin clear which I really like.”

A fit and study nutrition is important for a long and healthy life. Fruits, vegetables, whole grain and lean proteins are the way to ensure a balanced diet.