Fenton InPrint Online

Bomb threat sends FHS into secure mode on the first day of school

Gracie Warda, Assistant Online Editor

“There was a bomb threat today at school,” is not something that would usually come out of a child’s mouth, but on August 28 FHS students’ first day of school was interrupted by a low-credibility bomb threat which sent them into secure mode.

“The Fenton Police department received a phone call indicating that there was a bomb threat to Fenton High school,” Assistant Principal Laura Lemke said. “It was a low-level credibility threat, which is in the category of a prank.”

Students and staff were in secure mode for approximately two hours, unable to leave classrooms until otherwise stated.

“There was no specific time or place in the phone call,” School Resource Officer Thomas Cole said. “Those details are what  would differentiate between a low-credibility and high-credibility threat. If it was higher credibility, we might’ve found it necessary to go into a lockdown.”

Canine bomb dogs swept the campus to ensure that it was safe. Student cooperation made the secure mode, or “soft lockdown” effective.

“I believe that this is an eye-opener for the kids at FHS,” senior Justice Fredrick said. “It shows that things like this can actually happen. The school handed it really well, if there is any sort of threat like this, then they should take all measures necessary to make sure we’re safe.”

As of right now, the offender who made the phone call has not been identified. Anyone with information on who might’ve made the threat can confidentially contact Cole at (810)629-5311 or tcole@fentonschools.org.