Fenton InPrint Online

The freshman and JV volleyball teams serve their way to victory at recent tournament

Bree Soule, Writer

After eight hours of bumps, sets and spikes, the freshmen and JV volleyball tournament ends and teams wait to hear the results. To determine their seating in the bracket, the tigers faced St. John’s, Churchill, Powers and more in pool play on Sep. 15.

“Participating in pool play was fun because everyone had good timing, our passing was good, and everyone was where they needed to be,” freshman Katie Premo said. “It felt easy and everyone was happy. We did well and played good games.”

After seeding first in pool play, the tigers continue on and face more teams in bracket play.

“I’ve been playing volleyball for about 5 years now and it’s my favorite sport,” freshman Maddy Stevens said. “While playing in the tournament I was trying my best and trying not to let the team down. We all work hard and work well as a team. Some teams were challenging so I tried to help the others out to make their jobs a little easier.”

The freshmen team placed 3rd behind the Troy Athens and the JV team placed 2nd behind Powers in the end of the tournament.

“I feel like we didn’t play as well as we could have, especially me.” Premo said. “Our hits weren’t as accurate and we weren’t calling the ball as much. We played a decent game overall but it wasn’t our best performance.”

Despite falling to the Powers Chargers, the girls kept high spirits following the tournament.

“When we played Powers, everyone seemed to be tired,” Stevens said. “It was a lot of fun because I have a fun team but it also became really stressful. I think they were the team that challenged us the most. We need to work on staying in the plays and covering short balls.”

There will be another home tournament the 29th of September where the girls will get their chance to win it all.