Annual Volley-4-a-Cure event honors the Negley family

PHOTO Trinity Yost

While junior Sydney Acho sets up the ball to middle hitter senior Erin Carter, the boys varsity soccer team watches on. The girls volleyball and boys soccer programs participated in Volley-4-a-cure fundraiser for the Negley family.

Sydney Bommersbach, Online Editor

Mother, wife, teacher, coach and participant in the Fenton community, Julie Negley, was chosen to be at the forefront of the Volley 4 a Cure game on September 26. Julie was diagnosed with colon and liver cancer almost five years ago and continues to fight every day.

“When the soccer program and volleyball program were looking for a family to honor,” Jennifer Melero, a family friend of 13 years said, “Julie Negley was mentioned and the programs really liked the idea because of how involved in the Fenton community their family has been over the years.”

She found herself assisting in Fenton school programs such as football, basketball, baseball, band, trap shooting and much more.

“It was awesome to be able to help to the Negley family. It was stressed that they don’t need the help, but we wanted to support them as a community,” soccer player senior Noah Martin said. “Julie has been really strong through it all, and she has always found a way to stay positive.”

Both programs wished to honor Negley for her continued spirit, strength and inspiration that she gives to others. The boy’s soccer team raised $2,017 and the girl’s volleyball team topped that with $3,049.73, raising $5,066.73 total.

“My favorite part is seeing the kids really own trying to raise money for people they may or may not know,” Freshman Volleyball coach Lori Thomas said. “I also love seeing the girls want to beat the soccer boys and put their skills on display.”

Most participants collected money by letting those who donated sign their special Volley 4 a Cure shirts. Viewed as an inspiration by the community, Negley represents what it means to be a fighter.

“To say that Julie is a warrior is an understatement,” Melero said. “Julie’s faith, positive outlook, and care for others is an example to all.”