IB theatre prepares to perform ‘Steel Magnolias’

Taron Masi, Online Editor

In the past two months, there have been 10 snow days. During those 10 days the IB Theatre class was unable to rehearse for their upcoming show, Steel Magnolias.

“During some of the snow days,” junior Gabi Blumenschein said, “we would come in and rehearse. The snow days slowed us down a bit and we had to make changes in the process because of them but now, with the steady school days, we’re back on track.”

Steel Magnolias is different from many of the shows put on by the IB Theatre program in the past—in that the cast is made up entirely of girls.

“Steel Magnolias is based on a true story,” Blumenschein said. “The story revolves around a group of women. It’s all about women power and the strength of their friendship. It’s inspiring to have the entire cast be made up of girls empowering each other.”

This school year, IB theatre is taking on the challenge of performing two separate shows this season. A few of the students were cast in both shows.

“It’s very hectic acting in both shows,” junior Sarah Dziadzio said. “I had to rehearse at the school until very late every night. Overall, it has been a super rewarding experience. In the end, I am incredibly happy I got to a part of two really great shows.”

IB Theatre, instructed by drama teacher Lori Thompson, is an audition class available to juniors and seniors.

“IB theatre is one of the best experiences,” junior Zoë Simmerman said. “I’m so thankful, I don’t know what I would have done if I hadn’t tried out for it. Being a part of this group has taught me so much about myself and my community.”

Steel Magnolias will be performed for the public in the black box on March 8 at 7:30, March 9 at 2:30 and 7:30 as well as March 10 at 2:30. Tickets are $8 for students and senior citizens and $10 for adults.