Fenton Farmers Market to resume Jun. 20

Delaney Bryson, News Editor

Fresh produce, golden sun and a relaxing summer breeze carry the scent of warm food throughout the town. These are just a few things to look forward to as farmers market season draws near.

The Fenton Farmers Market will be open every Thursday throughout the summer on the front lawn of the Fenton Community Center. It will start on Jun. 20 and end on Sep. 19. Set up for the market began in April, months in advance.

“It takes a lot of preparation to get the farmer’s market running smoothly every year,” Pat Allen from Southern Lakes Parks and Recreation (SLPR) said. “We have to organize the vendor’s spaces so that everyone fits and is satisfied. We advertise to the citizens to make sure they know it’s coming up.”

Every year, around 35 vendors participate. In the 2016-17 season, 16,000 people attended. The farmers market has a variety of items available to buy; from healthy, local food to homemade crafts and artwork.

“We believe it’s important to support local farms and artists,” Allen said. “The farmers market is a great way to bring the community together and help people find new products, produce and experiences.”

In order to become a vendor, citizens must apply.This application can be found linked on the SLPR website. A space for the whole season can be rented for $125, two for $165 and day rates range from $15 to $20. Any high school student can apply to be a vendor with a signed contract from a guardian.

“Last year, I sold jewelry that I made at the farmers market,” sophomore Fiona Suydam said. “I loved seeing my friends all come out to support me. I met a bunch of new people, but it was hard sometimes making enough jewelry so I wouldn’t run out. For anyone who wants to participate, my advice is to make a commitment to your booth and go every week, treat it like it’s an actual business.”

The Fenton Farmers Market will be open from 5 to 8 p.m., rain or shine, throughout the summer (excluding Jul. 4). Consult SLPR’s website (slpr.net) with questions or to become involved in this year’s farmer’s market.