Summer sports to try out this year

Jessie Bright, Writer

Looking for a way to spend your summer? Check out the slideshow below for lake sports to try out this summer.

• Senior Julia Stocker: “I’ve been surfing for three summers. I got into it when we got our boat that had ballast tanks for surfing, and I took one lesson and immediately fell in love with it. It’s so fun to be behind the boat doing tricks and listening to music. There’s nothing to dislike about it; I just love everything about it.”

• senior Drew Follett: “I got into sailing when I was 12 and liked it because I love being on the water and it’s so fun to go fast. It’s great because sailing is both a team and individual sport, and you can have fun both at the basic level or progressing further to a higher skill level. It’s hard sometimes because it is a weather dependent sport, so there has to be wind but no lightning or storms, but it’s worth it. I’ve been teaching sailing to kids for three years at Traverse Area Community Sailing (TACS) in Traverse City as a summer job, and I love it.”

• Freshman Dylyn Nichols: “My dad skied his whole life, so I started really young, around four or five. My brother and I both love to do it and we’re really inspired by our dad and the people on our team.what team? The best part of waterskiing is that even though practicing every day can sometimes get exhausting, having such a great team that feels like family and how much fun we have together makes it worth it.”