Opinion: Early morning SRT helps students thrive

Bree Soule, Writer

While walking through the school hallway in the morning, you may see numerous tired faces as students begin to file in. Students drag their feet to first hour wishing it was the end of the day already. Having SRT in the morning benefits students, helping them to get a kickstart to their day before putting all their energy into classwork.

SRT is a time for students to get their homework done, make up tests or quizzes, and talk to teachers. Having the opportunity to speak with a teacher before seeing them in class helps students fix unresolved issues or helps them to understand what they’re doing before jumping into the next class. Making up a test or quiz beforehand is also helpful so students don’t get flooded with new information that isn’t on the test. 

On average, 72.7 percent of high school students do not get the recommended 8-10 hours of sleep every night, according to the national YRBS. Therefore, they come to school tired and require time to wake up. Morning SRT gives students a chance to wake up and mentally prepare themselves for the workload ahead. 

Occasionally a student may forget they have homework or will forget their homework at school. This results in them rushing to get their work done in other classes which creates an ongoing cycle of the student not paying attention in the class they’re currently in. Morning SRT can help prevent this by giving students a chance to finish their assignment before their class starts.

Morning SRT doesn’t only benefit students. Teachers get an extra amount of time in the morning to plan for the day, make any last changes to their lesson plans, or to take care of any sudden problems that have occurred. This could provide for a better organized day, maximizing the amount of class time teachers can educate their students. 

Afternoon SRT is not as productive and beneficial for students and teachers as morning SRT. With morning SRT, students can ease into their day, work on homework that’s due, and talk to teachers before they go to their class.