Football and lacrosse start conditioning months before season begins

Natily Hall, Writer

While most students are just waking up, the varsity girls lacrosse team and football teams are up and at the high school building at 6:15 every school day to lift weights and condition for their upcoming seasons. 

“We have conditioning to prepare the girls that are not winter athletes,” varsity girls lacrosse coach Roger Ellis said. “In both soccer and lacrosse, a lot of our girls are on the ski and basketball team, so we are really doing it for the girls who don’t choose to do winter sports. We give them the option to come here and sweat a little.”

Many athletes, including football and lacrosse players, practice before their actual season begins. This helps create a healthier and safer season for athletes. Ellis says he sees improvement from conditioning in the lack of sprained ankles and knees injuries  Yet, sometimes it can affect the students’ sleep and school work.

“Conditioning can affect my sleeping schedule depending on the amount of homework I end up getting that night before,” freshman Wyatt Wilson said. “I’d have to go to bed earlier so I have the energy for waking up in the morning, which can be around 5-5:30 in the morning so I’ll  be in the gym by 6:15.”

Though conditioning may become hard, students do find that it improves their overall playing skills. Not to mention, the conditioning sessions are optional, meaning that students are not required to attend. 

“Open gym prepares you for the season,” junior Gabby Fisher said. “You can receive any extra help there if needed. I find open gym necessary, and  you can attend at any time you’re available.”

Although conditioning in the off-season does require extra hard work and dedication to come into school early or to stay after, it does have its benefits in the health and safety for the athletes who attend if they’re not playing another sport.