How to stay active during the off season

Bree Soule, Online Editor

Physical activity is essential to the human body. With local gyms temporarily closed and sport seasons cancelled, people who rely upon these must find a new way to workout. 

“During the shutdown, it was important for us to stay connected to our players,” Rick Miracle, Director of Nationals Genesee (a travel soccer club), said. “Our staff went to work right away filming videos with a technical focus that could be performed in a small space without having to purchase any equipment. Our players have been doing a living room core workout with sit-ups, push-ups, crunches, planks and mountain climbers. Whatever your routine looks like during this time, the more physical activity you can insert, the better.” 

Lessened or no physical activity can result in major mental and physical problems. An article published by My Lungs My Life highlights the importance of exercise as without it, the body will become de-conditioned resulting in muscles weakening and a loss of bulk. This then intensifies to shortness of breath, inactivity and an increased difficulty in performing daily tasks. 

“There are so many benefits of staying active both mentally and physically,” District Athletic Director Michael Bakker said. “Study upon study from medical professionals and mental health professionals have proven this. The bottom line is that people have a more positive mental outlook and are healthier physically when they are exercising and actively doing something that improves their cardio and cardiac function and builds strength in their muscles and their mind.”

Studies, such as the one by Cleveland Clinics, have shown the benefits of cardio workouts for the body. Their report details all of the benefits, including an increase in heart rate, maintaining a healthy weight by burning calories, leading to healthier skin, reducing fatigue and “can improve your overall quality of life.”

“I believe that finding some sort of cardio is a must, so that a person isn’t always sitting around,” Bakker said. “Students and adults should find something that they can enjoy doing in order to exercise. We are more likely to stick to an exercise plan if we find enjoyment in it. I used to really enjoy running, so 5 weeks ago I decided to pick up running again. I get up at my normal work time, as if we were in school and run at least 2 miles per day and I have done this now for 36 straight days. My longest single run to date is 8 miles.”

Practicing a sport is another way to stay active, along with increasing one’s skills.

“A lot of our athletes are hitting off a tee into a softball net,” varsity softball coach Ken Brant said. “Or if they have family, throwing a ball back and forth keeps their arm warmed-up. This would keep our players ready for anything if someone were to say we could play. If they aren’t doing anything because of COVID-19, it’ll take twice as long to get caught up.”

Working out at home isn’t as daunting as it may seem. ATHLEAN-X™, a YouTube channel designed to put “the science back in strength”, uploaded a video sharing five home workout tips. These tips are to look for ways to utilize objects in your house, make your exercises harder, stop counting reps and start training until you can’t continue, and to at least do something. To see more, check out the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzXZLZWm8QY.