No more Rock n’ Roll?

Calli Miller, Writer

With changing technologies and times comes the obvious evolving of music; one of the biggest genres of the 1960s to ’80s has been overpowered by other genres such as rap, country and dance/electronic. Rock ‘n’ Roll has simply been replaced.

“I think Rock ‘n’ Roll is dead for sure,” junior Brenna Hatch said. “No one is making real music anymore. It’s all so synthesized and electronic. There’s no creativity. It’s being replaced by electronic music.”

Rock n’ Roll began in the ’50s when it evolved from rhythm and blues. Although there were many artists, one rose above them all. Elvis Presley was said to be the “King of Rock.” After him, there were many bands/artists such as The Beatles, ACDC, Jimi Hendrix and The Rolling Stones. The ’90s, however, marked the end of the arena of rock and sub-genres arose.

“Rock ‘n’ Roll itself is not the same as it used to be,” sophomore Bronson Kelly said. “But if some talented musicians stepped up and made their own music instead of playing a producer’s music, I think Rock n’ Roll could honestly make a comeback.”

At the time, Rock ‘n’ Roll was considered part of the rebellious phase. It attracted the younger generation, as does rap and hip hop today. They wanted something that was new, and something that, of course, their parents did not listen to.

“Its so sad how Rock n’ Roll has faded,” senior Emily Green said. “But then again so have events like Woodstock and hardcore drugs with loud music, so I guess it’s okay if you look at it in that sense. I don’t think rock will make a comeback, although I wish it would; there’s just no way to get those classic sounds.”

Although rock is not as popular anymore on the FM radio, Satellite radio has channels to listen to favorite throwbacks, commercial free. The music industry for rock might have died down over the years, but there will always be the Internet to store the legends that once dominated the industry.