The chance of a prom is currently unknown

Meghan Maier, Online Editor

After homecoming was cancelled, questions about prom were up in the air with juniors and seniors crossing their fingers in hopes another dance won’t be cancelled.

“Honestly, it’s hard to know,” Athletic Director Michael Bakker said. “The FHS administration wants more than ever to provide the end of the year activities, such as prom. However, that being said so much of it is really out of our control. The orders that come down from Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS ) continuously change.”

If Fenton High’s prom isn’t cancelled, restrictions would be put in place that student and staff would have to be work around.

“It depends on how bad COVID is when it comes to springtime,” Bakker said. “We have no way of knowing what COVID issues we will or won’t face by the time spring rolls around. Based on past precedence, I think our restrictions will first start with state guidelines and then we’ll have to figure out what works best within this guidance.” 

Students’ attitudes, whether positive or negative, may influence the enjoyability of prom.

“I think prom and the enjoyment of it for students is what everyone makes of it,” Bakker said. “Prom with or without restrictions can be completely enjoyable or not at all depending on one’s mental outlook and approach, much like most things we do in life. So much of what we do our own attitude determines the level of enjoyment we find in activities. So I think regardless of the restrictions, whether the event is fun or not rests on the shoulders of the individuals to make the most of it.”

Although having a prom is uncertain, Fenton High has hopes that come spring time, COVID-19 will have allowed a prom to take place. However, nothing will be certain until the spring.