How high school athletes handle avoiding and dealing with their injuries

Halee Alexander, Writer

Statistics on atyourownrisk.org reveal that 90 percent of student-athletes have some sort of sports-related injury. 

These injuries cannot always be prevented, but athletes can take part in a preventative process. According to Heathlychildren.org, reducing the risk of injuries can be done by taking time off your sport, wearing gear that fits correctly, stretching, and not playing through pain are all key ways to avoid injuries. 

Junior Emma Novak tore her tibialis anterior tendon after being kicked by an opposing team member playing midfield during her soccer game in eighth grade. 

“I was happy for the break from playing at the time, but it made it really difficult to get around,” Novak said “I was in a boot for our spring break trip and had to use crutches to get around.”  

Recovery was a long healing process, and she still has problems to this day. 

“After I got hurt I went to physical therapy for a few months to restrengthen my ankle and do ultrasound therapy, while also keeping ice on it 15 minutes a day twice a day,” Novak said. 

Physical Therapists are knowledgeable about common injuries for most sports. They develop a plan to restrengthen the muscles needed after an injury, geared towards what will be most beneficial to the athlete. The stretching and strengthening exercises given to their patients help not only to strengthen, but to improve mobility and balance.  

A sports injury cannot always be predicted, but athletes can do things to help prevent getting an injury in the first place.