Students traveling for spring break face traveling guidelines

Madysen Krug, Writer

With COVID-19 still spreading, many people have decided not to travel for spring break, fearful of catching the virus. 

According to The New York Times, “Air travel is down markedly from years past.” Although numbers are down, people are still traveling. 

According to a poll posted on Fenton InPrint’s Twitter account, 54 percent of students are staying in state for spring break and 46 percent are going out of state.

“For spring break, I am going to Pensacola, Florida,” senior Rylee Ochs said. “We are planning to go to the beach, shopping malls and restaurants.”

Though traveling guidelines are different now, students are still going out of state for spring break. 

“I’m going to Clearwater for spring break,” senior Katelyn Beverly said. “We will be staying there at a hotel for a week where we will be going to the beach, swimming, shopping and looking for other activities to do.”

A common concern travelers have is whether or not they need to get tested before and after traveling. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “The CDC recommends all travelers, both domestic and international, get a COVID-19 viral test one to three days before travel”. 

If people are coming to the United States, they must do the following prior to boarding a flight: have a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of COVID-19 recovery.

As stated by the CDC, all people entering must “get tested with a viral test three to five days after travel and stay home and self-quarantine for a full seven days after travel. Even if you test negative, stay home and self-quarantine for the full 7 days. If your test is positive, isolate yourself to protect others from getting infected. If you don’t get tested, stay home and self-quarantine for 10 days after travel. Avoid being around people who are at an an increased risk for several illnesses for 14 days, whether you get tested or not.” 

If people are planning to travel for Spring break, they are encouraged to travel safely.