New electives coming to FHS

Lily Turkowski, Writer

The time of requesting courses for the 2023-24 school year is approaching and there are a few new options this year to choose from. Some of these options include classes such as International Baccalaureate (IB) Film Standard Level (SL), Guitar Class, and a new Literature and Composition 4 class. 

The new option of IB Film SL was a proposed course by video productions teacher Kevin Smith and will include the exploration of different types of films and techniques to filmmaking and filmmakers.

“My main hope for the course,” Smith said, “is for students to produce meaningful content that they are proud of.”

As a prerequisite to this course, students need to have completed Video Production 1 successfully or have teacher approval.

Band director Patrick Conaton proposed a new Guitar class for students of any grade level to attend. In this class, students will learn the following: the different parts of a guitar, the basic understanding of how to take care of a guitar and the techniques of playing the instrument. Students will also be introduced to different pieces of music throughout the year.

“My goal for starting this class was allowing the whole student body at FHS an opportunity to take a music class,” Conaton said, “regardless if they had experience in band or choir.”

This class will be open to all students in grades 9-12 and there are no prerequisites for admission to the course.

An additional option for the 2023-24 school year is a new Literature and Composition 4 class proposed by English teacher Sarah Andersen. 

In this class, students will read multiple classic and young adult novels and be asked to do the following tasks: engage in discussions over the novels, write informal and formal essays and analyze topics related to the novels. 

“My hope for the class is for students to be engaged and motivated as we read, discuss and write about various topics and concepts,” Andersen said, “I also hope it builds more stamina for reading a variety of literature.”

This course will be limited to seniors only. It will be invitation only and designated for students who stand out to former teachers and counselors by their reading and writing skills along with past grades.

These new electives aren’t the only ones that students will have to choose from. They will still be able to enjoy all of the electives that Fenton High has offered in the past.

For more information on electives and other courses, visit the FHS website or for a direct link, click here: 2023-2024 FHS Curriculum Guide