Fenton InPrint Online

Fenton InPrint Online

Fenton InPrint Online

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Math retakes should be permitted

Math can be challenging for many students, especially those in higher-level elective classes including pre-calculus, AP Statistics, AP calculus and others. 

At FHS, students are only allowed to retake assessments in algebra and geometry. The reasoning for this, according to the math department, is that retakes are allowed for core math classes because everyone has to pass them. Retake opportunities allow these students more chances to pass.

I believe students in all math classes may have a better chance at learning the concepts if they are able to retake tests and quizzes— like students in standard math classes. 

According to hoffmath.com, reviewing and correcting errors helps solidify understanding, allowing students to identify misconceptions, address gaps in knowledge and reinforce mathematical concepts. 

The students who choose to challenge themselves by taking an elective math class may be putting in more time on homework assignments and preparing for tests/quizzes than the students who take standardized math classes. 

Retaking math tests should be available to every FHS student regardless of the course they are taking. It makes them responsible for their own success and helps them evaluate their learning style.