Fenton Athletic Department holds Annual Tiger Run and Trot

Ellie Bennett, Writer

In Fenton you might just see a big group of people running along the streets. This is because the sixth annual Tiger run/walk is taking place on Saturday May 21. This run will start at the Fenton High School and end with a final lap around the Fenton Track. There also is a chance for the little ones to run in the Tiger Trot.

“The Tiger run is a 5k run/walk,” Athletic Director Michael Bakker said. “That is a flat route that is running through the city of Fenton and finishing on the Fenton High School Track. After the run the Tiger Trot will begin this is for kids from ages three to ten and they can go around the track one to four times. After this there is going to be refreshments like cookies and slushies for the kids as well.”

By just entering the run this is helping the Fenton Athletic Department raise money. Also it’s a way for the community to come together.

“It’s a good chance for the community to come together,” Physical Education teacher Rebecca Moore said. “Also, it supports the Fenton Athletic Department because you can buy T-shirts and the registration fee to get in also goes to department as well. When you’re at the Tiger run you can see a wide range of people from pro runners to normal adults to little kids.”

Participation goes further than completing the run, students and community members are working with the kids and giving food and water to the runners.

“We have sponsors like Boston’s and Plant Fitness, community members, and some of the NHS kids that will help us work it,” Bakker said. “The NHS students are helping the littler children in the Tiger Trot get around the track also some will be working the concessions along with community members. Over the years we see an increasing amount of people coming out but this year we are a little behind with a little over 100 people signed up. We hope that there will be more that enter before the big race.”

The race starts at 8:30 a.m. and the Tiger Trot begins at 9:30 a.m. The entree fees are $30.00 for the 5K and the Tiger Trot Entry Fee is $15.00. For registration forms go see Bakker in the athletic office or visit the webiste.