SRTs join community, donate gifts to the Angle Tree

Ellie Vasbinder, Writer

Each Christmas more than 200 Fenton Area children are able to celebrate the holiday because of SRT families. This year, 23 SRTs adopted an Angel Tree child.

“Fenton High works with Fenton Rotary Club to put together Angel Tree,” counselor Michelle Pietraszkiewicz said. “We send out a form to everyone in the district and make the flyers available to everybody. The returned forms are sent to Fenton Rotary and they turn them into Angels. SRTs collect all the gifts and student council delivers them to Fenton Rotary who then delivers the gifts and divides them up by families and delivers them.”

Angel Tree is an opportunity to give back to the community. SRT families are encouraged to buy one thing from the lists to donate to the Angels.

“It’s important for the people who don’t have basic necessities let alone gifts and prized possessions for themselves get what they need,” freshman Ellie Koester said. “I donated last year to Angel Tree and the year before that. Knowing you’ve brought joy to someone’s life by doing a simple act is fulfilling.”

For more than 10 years, Angel Tree has been helping needy families in need across Genesee County have a happy holiday. Gifts were turned in to SRTs on Dec. 13, and delivered at 9 a.m. on Dec. 17 to the families of Angel Tree Children by the Fenton Rotary Club.