Sophomore history class integrates social media into poster project

McKenzie Lookebill, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Staring from phone to paper, Crayola markers are moving rigorously across the sheet. Mimicking a twitter page, groups were created in U.S. history and Geography class to complete a project featuring the Civil Rights movement integrating modern media.

The project was a culminating activity in our study of the Civil Rights movement,” Gray said. “Students were comparing viewpoints of those advocating for nonviolent action, like MLK, Jr., and those willing to use “any means necessary,” like Malcolm X. My goal was to bring it into a modern context, to consider how these leaders may communicate now if they were alive. This is the first time I’ve done the project, and yes, I did like it. The kids did, too. I thought some of their tweets were pretty interesting and creative.

Each poster hanging in between the literature and social studies hallways feature dominant historical figures during the civil rights movement. Including, but not limited to: Martin Luther King Jr., Jackie Robinson, Malcolm X.

Our goal was to understand the civil rights movement,” sophomore Lauren Beck said. “My group chose to make peaceful protests and nonviolence look more desirable. I enjoyed the way it tied in modern media with the topic, it made it more interesting and fun to do.”

The integration of social media in school was utilized by Patricia Gray in her U.S. History and Geography blocks.  Each group designed their own poster, and their take on social media.

“It was a really cool way of showing the civil rights movement,” sophomore Zac Jump said. “It was as if the movement was going on today. We designed their twitter page based off of what we thought they would tweet if they had twitter back then.”

Although they exist only on poster, these projects integrate social media to help students learn in a new way. The twitter projects are located outside of Gray’s room, room