Ruby Zima Fine Arts Festival provides students with talents in art film or theater a chance to win prizes

To all students drawn to art, film making, or theatre, the fifth annual Ruby Zima Students Film and Art festival might just be an opportunity to show style and have a chance to win prizes and earn some extra cash.

film production, performing arts, and visual arts.

First place winners of each category win $250, second place winners receive $125 and third place runner ups win $50.

“All students should make the most of all opportunities during their high school years.  The chance to have one’s artwork or other artistic efforts on display for our community is rare and one of which students should take advantage,” Principal Mark Suchowski said. “Recognition for a student’s artistic effort is an important part of the RFZ Festival.”

The festival itself is named after retired teacher, Ruby Zima. Zima worked as an English and Drama teacher from 1969 to 1999 and was the first to lead the drama program. The school named the auditorium after her in 2007.

“I would encourage students to participate in all arts, including drama, even if they do not intend on pursuing it in college and major in it. It develops skills of understanding,” Zima said. “Once you try it, once you build a set or participated in a play, you have a deeper understanding, you look at it in another way; it can enhance your life forever.”

“There’s a wonderful wide variety in the arts that’s being presented.” Zima said, “I certainly hope to attend this year.”

Admission is $2 for students, $5 for adults and $10 for a family of four. Kids from Fenton, Lake Fenton, and Linden can all participate. The festival is open to grades K-12

“I’m going to the show to see some really great art,” junior Cord Alvarado said.  “I went last year, and I’m expecting there will be some new great art coming around this year, I’m very excited to see the great artistic ability in this school.”

This year  any student in the Metro league can submit a film.

Cut off day for all entries is Feb.12. Theatre performances should submitted by email to Joe Kryza for a performance time slot, first come is first serve. Art is turned into Suzanne Jule and can be submitted early. All videos are submitted on a (specific YouTube channel).

The festival will take place on March 15 in the Fenton High Auditorium.